September 21, 2018
Responsible for performing advanced medical, diagnostic, and laboratory procedures under the direction of a licensed veterinarian.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Manage and provide for the patient’s needs.
- Triage patients and determine if patient is stable or critical.
- Perform physical assessments and record observations legibly in files.
- Assist veterinarian in all aspects during surgical procedures; pre-medication, set up, induction, preparation, maintenance of general anesthesia, surgical monitoring, surgical assisting, recovery, writing post op orders and pain management protocols.
- Perform blood collection via all routes and ability to know best collection method based on individual patient needs or specific test requirements.
- Preparation of fluid therapy- infusion pump/syringe pump set up, appropriate IVF set up, fluid types and rates for administration, CRI calculations and monitoring.
- Assist with dosage calculations and dispensing of medication including controlled substances as well as advanced emergency drug calculations, dosing and administering route protocols and common contraindications.
- Monitor daily activities of in-hospital patients both stable or who require advanced monitoring.
- Communicate with doctors, technicians, office staff and clients regarding status of patients.
- Prepare patients for discharge to owners including client education about home care and medication to be given.
- Follow established hospital policies and procedures when handling client concerns and complaints.
- Document legibly and keep accurate medical records in accordance to hospital policy.
- Clear understanding and enforcement of OSHA regulations and hospital safety standards.
- Performs other job duties as assigned.
- Levels of veterinary certification required by state of employment (Some states do not require).
- High School diploma or equivalent. Graduate from an AVMA accredited Animal Science program with an AS or BS preferred, but not mandatory.
- Knowledge of advanced fluid therapy, anesthetic monitoring, advanced CPR and all aspects of laboratory and radiology preferred.
- Knowledge of advanced pharmacology and medical terminology as well as knowledge of surgical procedures and disease process.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Strong work ethic and a positive attitude.
- Must be flexible and able to adapt to new situations.
- Ability to act as a team player.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, talk, see, hear, use hands and fingers to handle or feel, reach with hands and arms, stoop, kneel, crouch and crawl.
The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and will occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
If interested send resume tomailto:email@example.com. Please specify location(s) that you are interested.